Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

on CAESAR MOVES TO THE MIDWEST

It took us a little while at first. We had to learn each other. One of us liked to pull the other one down the street, feet lifting up from underneath, hair flying in face, beagle nose on the move. We had to learn how to talk to each other, give and take, like any relationship. But the love had been there from the start.

Caesar taught me some really important things. Like what happens when we release control and push ourselves to go a little further. And that it's important to be held a lot. And that playing is a 24 hour a day commitment. And that trusting can be scary, but you just have to keep trying.

When C and his mom moved out of town last week, we had just wrapped up our last few days together. Long walks, and toy tosses, and couch time together. And a final "you're a good boy, Caesar, be good, I'll see you soon" and you better believe I started to cry as I left. These dogs that I get to watch, to take care of, they aren't just a job. They're furry bundles of lessons and love, and while the job sounds like an easy out for some quick cash, it's always me who ends up unbearably lucky to have gotten the chance. C was even more special as I'm currently taking a pause from the doggie-sitting world (we'll see how long that lasts) and he could very well have been the last. Plus, I have a soft spot for furry little boys with eyes that tell you they've seen things, and a need to know they're safe. C is lucky, he's got a great mom, who loves him so much, and has kept him through endless moves and changes and years. He is absolutely one of the lucky ones, and one of the sweetest, too.

You're a good boy, Caesar, be good, I'll see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment