Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

on WHAT LOVE SOUNDS LIKE


For two weeks, there were pianos scattered throughout this city. Eighty-Eight, to be exact, the same number of keys on each piano. On the last day, they were all brought to Lincoln Center for a full day of music, art, dance, and, of course, piano playing.

At first, fascinated by the pianos, I chose a new favorite one every thirty seconds. But then, it became about the people. Oh do I love to people watch, oh my oh my oh my, I love it so. And those fountains - they are mine, my favorite place, and to sit and watch these fascinating people, oh I was in my glory. The woman in the purple outfit, sitting at the purple piano, was glorious. We chatted awhile, I took photos for her, she told me she was from Cuba, how beautiful I was, her whole being was animated. She eventually started to play, and then later, sing. Full voice, singing old songs, the kind of songs that you can tell she's known a very long time. I liked her best.

I grew up with a grand piano across the hall from my bedroom; our very own music room. My mom bought it before her first place, or her first car (and she wonders where I got the weird factor from..). I didn't realize that most people don't grow up with a piano.. until just about right now as I'm writing this sentence. Anyway, one of my favorite sounds in the world is the sound of a piano. So one of my favorite activities (people watching) mixed with one of my favorite sounds (pianos) at one of my favorite places in the entire world (Lincoln Center).. well, you can imagine I was elated. How could it get any better?

Let's throw in my favorite person, who was asked to perform at the event. He is the coolest in the world. (Just so we're clear, that last photo of a dude singing is NOT, I repeat not, favorite. He has never been pictured here, and we'll have to see if he earns a spot someday.) You know that part in "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" where the grinch's heart grows three times as big? My heart did that watching him that afternoon, and then even more so while seeing him interact with perfect strangers who came to give thanks and thoughts. Sometimes I don't like feeling things, vulnerability and I are off and on, and sometimes I still protect.. but darn it if he doesn't drag it out of me; first kicking and screaming, and now in a more easy and unable to be stopped type of way. Like looking at your own heart, outside of your body, but only after you forgot you had one.

And now, let us ignore the mush and go back to the pianos! 'twas wonderful. And you guys, also at LC that weekend? A CRAFT FAIR. A craft fair. I KNOW. I know what you're thinking and it's true: I DID visit heaven, and it was better than we all thought. The whole event was put together by Sing For Hope and you can visit their website riiiiight here. Share that art, you handsome fools.

2 comments:

  1. Omg this is so amazing. I wish I was there for this!!! This is just beautiful. And a craft fair to top it all off??? Gah!!!

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so amazing!!!!!!!!!! I seriously loev this so much and wish I could have been there!!! I grew up playing the piano, we always had one in the house. Now that I live on my own, I don't have one :( I always talk about how I will buy a piano one day and it will be cherished and loved forever. (Jeremy sorta dreads it because he knows he'll be the one moving it haha but I know he will come around when there's always music filling our home)

    ReplyDelete