Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

on GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS


I just read this fascinating little piece by Lisa Bloom about how she chooses to talk to little girls. Can't remember how I landed there, but my best guess is that sneaky facebook newsfeed.

I'm totally guilty of talking cutesy to little girls, or telling them how beautiful they are. Because they are beautiful, and adorable and sweet and loving and have the cutest little outfits on earth, right? Right. But Ms. Bloom points out the obvious of why it's important to start speaking to them differently. And some interesting stats (from 2011, but still relevant today) such as nearly 50% of little girls 3-6 worry about being fat. Not cool.

Give it a read, let me know what you think.

P.S. See that fabulous picture up there? That's from the brilliant Katie Rain Photography. Check out her website (and facebook page!) to see her incredible work. (Also, that's her gorgeous, intelligent little girl. I may or may not be biased from my massive amounts of love for her.)

1 comment:

  1. I read that piece recently, too. I think she makes some really interesting points, and it did make me think about how I talk to little girls. But at the same time, I do think little girls should be told how beautiful they are (AND how smart they are, and to make sure to put emphasis on other qualities). I think that's just as important. Yes, we want them to know their self-worth is not determined by how beautiful society deems them to be, but I know that when I was told I was beautiful or pretty, those compliments were like little jewels that I treasured. I was picked on a lot as a kid and didn't often hear that (from my mom, I probably did, but not from a lot of other people), and while I don't think my self-esteem should stem exclusively from whether I'm beautiful or not, I think having the knowledge that you ARE -- and not just externally -- is incredibly valuable.

    Also, that picture of that little one is too adorable for words.

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete